Becoming A Foster Home
Fostering SAVES LIVES and will only cost you LOVE!
Without foster homes Tails of The Misunderstood Canine Rescue Society is unable to rescue dogs in need. When you foster with us you help save a dogs life. We need foster homes for litters of puppies, high energy dogs, low energy dogs, bonded pairs, and dogs with medical or behavioral issues. While in foster care, they learn basic obedience and manners and become well rounded members of society.
What is involved in Fostering?
It is quite easy! Every foster home receives all required supplies such as food, toys, treats, crate, leash and collar, blankets, etc. Behavioral training and all medical costs are covered by the rescue. Our Foster team will assist you in any questions or concerns.
Our Training team will help address any behavioral needs and work one on one with you and your household to set your new roommate up for success! We also LOVE having our Fosters involved finding suitable adoptive homes for our Dogs!
Fostering means TEAMWORK!
We utilize a team approach and the Tails of The Misunderstood Foster team is ALWAYS available for support, questions and emergencies. Fostering provides companionship to anyone from empty nesters and bachelors, to young families to teach patience and volunteerism.
What are the conditions to Foster?
Tails of The Misunderstood Canine Rescue Society has the following requirements to become a Foster home:
* Must be 18 years of age or older, and all members of the household must be in agreement
* All current animals in the home must be UTD (up to date) on their vaccinations
(some exceptions are allowed and will be discussed prior to fostering)
* All current animals in the home must be spayed/neutered, unless reasonable explanation
(ex. are too young, have a current medical condition, or in some circumstances have a breeding contract)
* Must have reliable transportation to bring foster dogs/ puppies to appointments at the vet, shelter, and/or adoption events. (some exceptions are allowed and will be discussed prior to fostering)
* Ideally a completely fenced yard for would be preferred BUT we love our fosters in condos, townhouses, and duplexes as our dogs thrive anywhere there is LOVE! We do have exceptions depending on the the dogs need but can fit usually any dog with a foster.
* Commitment to the duration of the time the dog is in foster care, this can range anywhere from two weeks to over four months. This also can vary depending on the animal and the time of year, if they are sick or a senior.
* Signing of the Foster Home Waiver and and Volunteer Release
Please click on the below Paw for the Foster Home Application.
Chris and Rose
Our TOP 10 REASONS TO FOSTER
1. More foster homes means more dogs are rescued which in turn means more lives are saved!
2. You get to teach your foster dog what it is like to have a family, to be a happy, to be warm or cool, and more importantly to be LOVED!
3. It’s fun and rewarding!!!
4. 100% you will FALL IN LOVE and undoubtedly get attached, but when you meet the new family, willing to give your dog a permanent loving forever-home and knowing YOU helped to save their life through fostering… Well you will feel more than immense privilege and honor to see them so wanted.
5. In some cases increasing human interaction greatly helps dogs coming from neglectful, abusive or wild situations.
6. Fostering a dog increases the likelihood of adoption placement and reduces the chances of the dog being returned. You are AMAZING by PUTTING in the WORK with the DOG!
7. If you already have dogs or even cats in your home, one more won’t make a difference to you, but it will make all the difference to the dog that wouldn’t have a second chance at life.
8. Fostering provides a great lesson to your children about compassion, nurturing, and generosity.
9. Most of the dogs we rescue have endured unimaginable hardships and can really benefit from a loving home, one in which they can get used to living with people in a home.
10. You’ll receive a companion which you will see grow and succeed without a lifetime commitment.